Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A Writer's Manifesto by Michelle Haseltine

IMG_6508
A manifesto is a public declaration. This is my manifesto about my life as a writer. These are my beliefs about living life as a writer. There are moments that I live up to the ideals in this manifesto and there are moments where I don’t. To me, the importance is in declaring it and working towards this.

I believe a writer shows up to the page every day.
I believe writing is messy.
The first step is leaving it all behind on the page.
The rest is cleaning it up and untangling the mess.
I don’t believe in writer’s block...it’s all in the work, in the showing up.
I believe there are days when 20 words are considered success.
I believe that tools matter for the writer.
I believe in the enchantment of pens and the lure of the notebook page.
I believe thinking and talking are vital steps in the process.
I believe procrastination has a magic where words and ideas are actually percolating.
I believe every single person has a story to tell.
I believe that every word has a place and a purpose.
I believe a writer must claim the title of writer.
I believe in writing.
IMG_6466
What do you believe? Take some time to write your own manifesto! Share your ideas in comments...
IMG_6475

This month, the #TeachWrite chat contributors will be sharing their thoughts about being teachers who write. Check back every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday to join in the conversation or sign up to have our posts delivered directly to your inbox.

We are inviting our #TeachWrite Chat community to add their voice to our theme for January and to have their thoughts published on the #TeachWrite Chat blog page. Are you interested in writing for us? Fill out this Google form and we will be in touch with a date for you to submit your post.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful. I am so happy I noticed that all of these wonderful manifestos were here Michelle. I love the I Believe statements as I think that our ability to formulate those kind of beliefs are central to what it means to be a writer. I really love this (and the hand picture is AMAZING)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.